9.11.2010

road bike

skyline overlook
road riding

riding trails (why not), redwood
trail riding

This 1979 Trek 710 came into my life last february, and I set it up single speed with parts laying around from my quickbeam. It's a nice light frame, made of reynolds 531, so when a 50 dollar campy record crank/bb came about last month I went forward and gave it gears. The drivetrain is a modern amalgamation, with that crank, a shimano 105 rear derailer and a shimano tiagra up front--all from my parts bin. Rear wheel is an ultegra hub laced to a mavic open pro, front was an awesome dumpster find--not sure of the exact model/year, but it's a mid-level campy high flange from the late 60s that someone was just throwing out before I intercepted it.

headbadge

In 1979, Trek was still handbuilding their frames and silver brazing. I'm happy to have brought this one back to life, and it rides like a nice lightweight all rounder. 44.5cm chainstays, 7.2cm BB drop--stable. 73 degree headtube and seattube. It's a perfect bike for getting up the hill quick, and is stout enough to roll down a firetrail if I want to.

1979 Trek 710
excuse the busy background.

2 comments:

LvilleTex said...

very nice job.good to see reuse, recycle at its best.

Apertome said...

Beautiful bicycle ... love it!